Thursday, May 17, 2007
Big big sky
After reading Rachel's memories of staring up at a huge tree and a big sky, I wanted to share mine. I remember going up from our house on Nassau towards the high school---up, up, up the hill---until Lisa & I reached the top of the big hill, on that corner where you are at Grace and the street that leads to Stephanie's house, by the college. There is a big stone marker there. What does it even say? St. Peter High School? I don't remember...but we would climb up onto that and lie on top of that cool, yellow stone in the middle of summer and would just stare up at the sky. Not sure if kids can even do this kind of thing anymore---with all the precautions regarding them being alone---but there we would stay, as long as we felt like it (or until we got hungry). We would just look at the blue sky and the clouds floating, and we would talk about shapes and what we saw. Sometimes it's hard for me to understand the world nowadays where all the kids are so busy with lessons and game schedules and all the computer activities. It just seems like too much. Having enough time that you are a little bored and need to make up games in the yard...and talk about what animals you see in the clouds? I think that's better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment