Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Quiet Anticipation

My family and I arrived in St. Peter last Friday. Although I've been somewhat preoccupied with other activities (my dad and stepmother are both retiring from Gustavus, we've been attending several related festivities), I find myself discovering old memories at every turn.

We've been taking my daughter to the various parks around town. In Gorman park, as I stood pushing her on the swings, I suddenly remembered the giant tree that used to stand on the east end of the park next to the original swing set. I remember swinging and looking waaaaaaay up into its branches, feeling small. At Washington square park they still have the jungle gym thing that, as my daughter describes it, looks like a giant cage. It must be at least 40 years old.

I went to the Family Dollar store to get some goodies for all our offspring to play with at the park on Saturday, and I remember when it used to be that grocery store where you could pack your groceries in boxes. I used to think that was so cool.

It's nice to be here in St. Pete. I can't wait to see everyone. I'm also kind of stoked for some Godfather's Pizza. Is that terribly wrong?

No comments: